Monday, April 07, 2008

Apologies

Sorry about the false-start on the "DIB Moment of the Day." I guess I was being very optimistic about how interesting life here in Israel really is. I am going to have to renege on this promise, and instead go back to my old format, of just informing you of the funny things that happen as they come along.

In a short update on things here, I should note that I spend most of my time in the medical school library, so I don't have much to tell. Well. In fact, the Dude saga continues, as it turns out that the guys who installed my new dude ALSO broke into my apartments safe. This left me in a strange position, as I keep absolutely nothing in that safe, and I could find nothing missing in my apartment, so I could just imagine trying to call this one into the police:

"Allo. Mishtarat Haifa."

"[In terrible American-accented Hebrew. To add effect, I'll just translate what it would sound like in English] Hello. The persons who were to installing a new dude at the attic of the apartment of mine also wants to stealing from the safe."

"They broke into your safe?"

"Yes. They did this."

"And what did they take?"

"They taking nothing. I am keeping nothing in the safe."

"***********Dial tone**************"

"Hello? Hello?"

Anyway, I finally called up my landlord's grandmother (who takes care of things in my landlord's absence), and informed her both that the new dude doesn't really work (it takes 6 hours to get water that could generously be described as luke-warm), and that they tried to break into my safe. At first, she didn't think she heard me correctly, but when we finally understood each other, she informed me that this was not possible, as her husband had been present the entire time.

I wouldn't hold your breath to find out how this one ends. I just hope she doesn't hire the same team to fix my (new) dude.

Anyway, the new adventure starting now for me (along with this entire country) is one of the most dreaded and hated of Israel's national pastimes: when the entire country attempts to clean their houses leading up to Passover. Maybe I'll take some "before" and "after" pictures.

Anyway, off to study for a biochemistry quiz. As always, it's great to hear from everyone.

"Leads? Yeah, sure. I'll just...check in with the boys down at the crime lab....They've got four more detectives working on the case.....They got us working in shifts! Leads!" ---Big Lebowski

Michael

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Nephew Sorry about the dude and the no solar dude and the rest. I've been thinking about you a lot. ( No surprise with Passover coming -one tends to think of family) All I can say is that I hope nothing worse than cold water will happen. (I meant to say that in A Sonia way) .
You're really going to be missed. Hag Sameach.
All my students from Korea aways tell me at some point that Lake Michigan is larger than South Korea. OK No more about water Love Aunt Dorie