Thursday, July 13, 2006

Israel Update

While I am sure the American media has made the proverbial "mountain out of molehill" out of what is happening here, the situation on the ground for an American tourist (like myself) in-and-around Jerusalem is not so severe. Honestly, I have the same feeling I had during the Hurrican Katrina disaster: the events taking place are so horrible and so close, yet strangley removed from actually affecting me. As much as we are praying for all of the families who lost a loved one, as well as for the captured soldier's safe return, I do not know anyone who is involved in what is going on, since most people I deal with here are American.

Anyway, today is the fast day of the 17th of Tammuz. It is remembered as the day that the Babylonians breached the walls of Jerusalem, which began the three-week seige of the city that eventually led to its destruction (on the 9th of Av). It also commemorates the day when Moses came down from Mount Sinai, saw the golden calf, and broke the two tablets. Really, the Jewish people could probably pick any day of the year, and find some terrible event that occurred on that day, and have a fast.

On the other hand, it's amazing to think that, as tragic as tyesterday's attacks in Northern Israel were, we live in a era where we have a very strong, secure country where Jews can live without the fear of large scale tragedies, as our grandparents, and generations before them were used to.

I wish everyone who is fasting an easy fast.

Best,

Michael

[Update: I take back not knowing anyone directly affected by this. An old friend of mine, Bezalel Friedman (on active duty as a paratrooper) is being sent to the front.]

3 comments:

IndianaPeach said...

Michael I see you are trying to call my phone...and i would call you back...but unfortunately my cell phone doesn't allow me to make international calls so....call me again...

just keep trying

"who wants cream?....ok no cream."

IndianaPeach said...

Michael, update this damn blog more often. And Robin Hood...since when? Good good, nudge nudge, say no more.

IndianaPeach said...

Hey Michael, I heard your neighbor got arrested for trafficking Russian babies. Any truth to this? I think you know where I stand on this issue.